Mies van der Rohe designed this pavilion as the German submission to the Barcelona International Exhibition, helt in 1929. Despite it being dismantled after the closure of the exhibition, the pavilion counts as an emblematic work in Mies’ oeuvre and modernist architecture of that time. In 1980 the city council of Barcelona commissioned a reconstruction of the building at the original location, based on drawings and black-and-white pictures. Today, the pavilion still stands in stark contrast with it’s direct neighbour: the classicist Palao Nacional which was the main site for the same 1929 expo. Considering both buildings reveals the juxtaposition of the two opposing architectural tendencies that characterise that time.